Original Article: Link
DEPARTMENT OF METEOROLOGY
ANNUAL ADMINISTRATION REPORT FOR THE YEAR 2011
A centre of Excellence in Weather and Climate related services.
Provide services pertaining to Meteorology, Aeronautical Meteorology, Marine Meteorology, Hydro Meteorology, Agricultural Meteorology, Climatology, and Astronomy to government agencies, private sector and the general public in keeping with national interests and international standards.
• To observe and collate weather elements in conformity with the World Meteorological Organization (WMO) standards, and maintenance of climatological databases.
• To provide weather and climatological services as the national authority.
• To issue early warnings and advisories on weather related hazards and tsunami.
• To provide meteorological services to national and international aviation in accordance with the technical regulations stipulated by World Meteorological Organization (WMO) and International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO)..
• To encourage study and research in Meteorology, Climatology, Climate Change and allied subjects, and to organize and contribute to public awareness programmes in these thematic areas.
• To provide limited astronomical and terrestrial magnetism related services.
Read Full report: Annual Administration Report – Department of Meteorology 2011